Odisha FC tied up a contract with India age group international Moirangthem Thoiba Singh on Tuesday for the seventh edition of the Indian Super League.
A three-year agreement with the club based in Bhubaneswar was signed by the 17-year old central defender.
The Manipur-born football player has appeared in the age-group championships representing India and has been with Punjab FC in last two seasons in I-League. He also is the youngest player who scored an AFC Cup goal during a Punjab match last time the team played in the AFC Cup.
Odisha FC President Rohan Sharma stated, “Thoiba is a very exciting and versatile player and I am really happy we were able to bring him in the squad this year” after signing the player.
“Though he is extremely young, he is a player who has got minutes in the I-League as well as in age-group competitions for India. He will have a good mentor in Vinit who can help him mature as per the club’s ideologies. He has an extremely high ceiling and hopefully, this year he finds his feet to develop into a better player for the future” he further added.
“Can’t wait to get started with Odisha FC and make my mark in the ISL and possibly get into the national team. I am excited to be a part of a strong core of young Indian players and I am sure I will be learning and improving daily at Odisha FC” a delightful Thoiba Singh added.
Odisha FC recently announced the signing of Kamalpreet Singh, Bodo Baoringdao and Premjit Singh, all of them are under 23 players. This clearly shows us what Odisha FC is trying to do. With these signings of young players, we can completely see that Odisha FC working on a long term.
ALL ABOUT ODISHA FC THOIBA SINGH MOIRANGTHEM
- Moirangthem Thoiba Singh is also known as Thoiba Singh Moirangthem, he was born in Manipur on 12 December 2002, currently aged just 17 years old.
- He is the youngest player ever to feature in an Indian Football League match at the age of just 15 years.
- His normal position is a central defender but also can play as a midfielder. He has been a part of the Punjab FC squad for the past two seasons. In both seasons he made a total of 15 appearances for the team and has 2 goals on his name.
- He is the youngest player ever to score in an AFC Cup match when he was aged just 16 years 5 month and 4 days.
- He has also played for Punjab FC reserve team in the I-League 2nd division.
- According to transfermarkt, his current market value is also over 1 crore which likely to increase further when he will make his debut for the Odisha FC club.
- He is also considered as a wonderkid of Indian football with many already agree that he will soon be seen in the Indian team’s blue jersey.